[XeTeX] XeTeX, hyperref, undefined control sequence since MiKTeX update

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Apr 19 03:36:23 CEST 2008

On 19/04/2008, at 7:43 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> I have come across a problem with the combination of XeTeX and
> hyperref
> since a recent update of MiKTeX 2.7 packages. A minimal test file is:
> 	 \documentclass{letter}
> 	 \usepackage{hyperref}
> 	 \begin{document}
> 	 When\footnote{not \today} in the Course of human events it becomes
> necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have
> connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the
> earth,
> the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of
> Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind
> requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the
> separation.
> 	 \end{document}
>
> The error message is:
>    htest.tex(1367): Error: ! Undefined control sequence.
> (always referenceing line 1367).

> 	("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\latex\hyperref\hyperref.sty"
> 	Package: hyperref 2008/04/12 v6.77m Hypertext links for LaTeX

The problem does not occur for me, using  v6.77l (the previous
subversion).
However, the latest available is now  v6.77q .

The ChangeLog says:

2008-04-17  6.77q  Heiko Oberdiek
     * 6.77q
     * Fix for small problem with XeLaTeX (\string^^f4).

which seems to be the problem you reported...

> 	! Undefined control sequence.
> 	l.1367 ...f{\noexpand\UTFviii at four@octets\stringô
> 							  }%

  ... since the code-lines in  hyperref.sty  at this point are (now):

   \edef\HyPsd at UTFviii@ccxliv at def{%
     \noexpand\UTFviii at four@octets\string ^^f4%
   }%

> 	The control sequence at the end of the top line
> 	of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
> 	misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
> 	spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
> 	and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.
>
> 	("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\latex\00miktex\hyperref.cfg"
> 	File: hyperref.cfg 2002/06/06 v1.2 hyperref configuration of TeXLive
> 	)
> 	("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\latex\oberdiek\kvoptions.sty"
> 	Package: kvoptions 2007/10/18 v3.0 Keyval support for LaTeX
> options (HO)
> 	)
>
> There is no significant difference when the [xetex] option is
> provided to
> hyperref, nor when [debug] is provided.

Update hyperref again!

> When line 2 of the example is removed, the error does not occur.

No hyperref, no problem -- except that you don't have hyperref's
wonderful features.  :-)

> When pdflatex is used instead of xelatex, the error does not occur.

> I cannot reproduce the problem using TeXLive 2007 on Feisty, but I
> do not
> have the same versions of the packages there.

Sure; you are talking about coding that is cutting-edge:
   v6.77m is dated  2008-04-12
   v6.77q is dated  2008-04-17 .

TeXLive 2007 is much older than that.

> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Rik    Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au