[XeTeX] : Re: wrong uccode of ß

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Mon Apr 14 15:03:14 CEST 2008

Am Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:55:26 +0200 schrieb Adam Twardoch:

> Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> Here too: All this variants are connected. SS with two distinct S is not
>> considered as a possible variants for the char. T1-encoding is better in
>> this respect. There a position for the "SS"-char existed from the start
>> on.
>>
> But if you're using a ligature or a digraph, it's better to encode it
> using the components rather than a new code — otherwise you'll be
> creating non-searchable documents.

But it is the creating of searchable document that I have in mind. It is
the current situation that gives non searchable document.

If you run the following document with pdfLaTeX and then search for "ss"
you will get no hit. But if you search for ß the \char223 and the
uppercase ß (the both "SS") are found:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\begin{document}
SCHLIE\char223EN

\MakeUppercase{schließen}
\end{document}

And this is the correct result. The word is schließen and not
schliessen! So the above document has the correct visual look (the two
SS) and searching works. Replacing \char223 (the uppercase version of
the ß) by two distinct S  may look similar, but it changes the
orthography and so the search now fails.

--
Ulrike Fischer