[XeTeX] : Re: wrong uccode of ß

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 14 11:59:42 CEST 2008

Hello

The Unicode gurus may have decided to create a capital eszett for neatness
(less charitably, out of ignorance), but who will ever use it?  It is
incorrect typographically, since as was originally pointed out, in an
all-capital context one uses SS.  Possibly  on a poster or some piece of
artwork a giant eszett might be wanted for visual effect, but that is a
separate matter and shouldn't cloud the thinking of those charged with
evolving the Unicode standard.

Might it be of help if in some macro package the eszett were seen as a
ligature (viz. of s + s), which gets broken into its constituent letters by
\uppercase (or some descendant of \uppercase)?  The same could be done with
e.g. ct, gy, and all the rest (lots of them in Fraktur!) that certain fonts
possess.  However, the eszett is in a special subcategory in that it is not
always correct (basically, it has to follow a long vowel), so any German
document using it all will also have -ss- .  But it seems to me that Unicode
is introducing an unnecessary and unwanted complication by providing a
capitalized form.

Best

John