[XeTeX] clash between \footnote and package xltxtra in document class scrbook from KOMA-script

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Fri Apr 11 16:30:27 CEST 2008

Am Fri, 11 Apr 2008 06:46:25 -0700 schrieb David Rangel:

> Hello,
>
> I have received the following complaint from XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx while
> processing a simple
> test scrbook (KOMA-Script) document.

> \documentclass{scrbook}
>
> \usepackage{fontspec}% provides font selecting commands
> \usepackage{xunicode}% provides unicode character macros
> \usepackage{xltxtra} % provides some fixes/extras (Breaks Footnotes in
> KOMA)
>
> \begin{document}
>
> a test of footnotes\footnote{a test}.
>
> \end{document}
> (XeLaTeX error:)
>
> ! Font \zf at basefont="" not loadable: installed font not found.
> <to be read again>
>                     \zf at family@fontdeflmr
> l.16 a test of footnotes\footnote{
>                                    a test}.
>
> The same document in the standard article document issues not error.
> There appears to be a
> conflict between xltxtra and scrbook.

No, it is not a KOMA-problem. You will get the same error if you use
e.g. article and test\textsuperscript{a}.

The bug is in the definition of \realsuperscript in xltxtra: it is using
\csname zf at family@fontdef\f at family\endcsname but this is not defined
(and so equal to \relax) in the default setup of fontspec.

you can get around the problem by resetting the fonts:

\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont{Latin Modern Roman}
\setsansfont{Latin Modern Sans}
\setmonofont{Latin Modern Mono}