[XeTeX] Problem installing XeTeX on OS X with Darwinports

Todd Lehman tsl at tsl.bu.edu
Fri Apr 11 03:36:44 CEST 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> Is there a compelling reason you want to install via Darwinports?

No, I just expected it to work (since I'd never had problems with
Darwinports before), and was confused when it wasn't working.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Sebastian Hanigk wrote:
> Second that. Use MacTeX and if you have newer Adobe Fonts, consider
> building xetex from the SVN trunk (it's easy, simply run the build
> script).

Thanks so much, guys!!  I uninstalled the texlive package via Darwinports,
and then downloaded and installed MacTeX from tug.org, and I am up and
running.

BTW, is it correct that if I am using TeXShop and set the typesetting
listbox to say "XeLaTeX" that I should be able to say:

   \documentclass{article}
   \begin{document}
   \font\agp="Adobe Garamond Pro" at 14pt \agp
   This is a test.
   \end{document}

and see the text appear in Adobe Garamond Pro, automatically with no other
system configurations needed?  That didn't work for me, nor did this:

   \documentclass{article}
   \usepackage{fontspec}
   \begin{document}
   \setromanfont{Adobe Garamond Pro}
   This is a test.
   \end{document}

What I get when I typeset that is a tightly kerned red lowercase Helvetica
display of:

   ‗ gqgq_ rcqr,

My console doesn't show any errors.

I'll keep looking through the docs (and I admit, I haven't read them
thoroughly yet; only looked at some examples saying how easy it was :)
and maybe I'll figure it out.

In any case, thanks for the MacTeX tip -- I like TeXShop.

--Todd