[XeTeX] Problem installing XeTeX on OS X with Darwinports

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Apr 10 15:34:54 CEST 2008

On 10 Apr 2008, at 2:06 pm, Todd Lehman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running into a problem getting XeTeX installed on OS X with
> Darwinports.  Installation of texlive (http://
> texlive.darwinports.com/)
> went just fine, as did several other packages, but installation of
> XeTeX
> (http://xetex.darwinports.com/) is reporting make errors [below].  I'm
> not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the Darwinports
> distribution
> of XeTeX is broken?

I don't really know any details about Darwinports (have never used
it), but it sounds to me like the port is broken; I'd suggest
reporting the problem to the maintainer and asking them to check/
update it.

Looking at http://xetex.darwinports.com/, I see that it refers to
XeTeX version 0.995; that's very old. TeX Live 2007 shipped with
0.996 well over a year ago now; they should be using at least that
release, even if not more recent code from the current xetex repository.

Is there a compelling reason you want to install via Darwinports?
Given that the port looks old/unmaintained/broken, I think you'd be
better off with MacTeX, standard TeX Live, or gwTeX, all of which
include newer versions of the software.