[XeTeX] l: Re: problems with fontspec and german sharp s ligature

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Tue Apr 8 14:00:47 CEST 2008

Am Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:59:57 +0100 schrieb John Was:

> Hi
>
> Of course you would only hyphenate Grüs-se in a very narrow measure where
> you were allowing just  two letters to be taken over.  However, my Duden
> Rechtschreibung, which has the new spelling rules highlighted in red, does
> not allow -ss- in that word anyway:  it still gives Grüße with eszett for
> the plural.

To replace all "ß" by "ss" is allowed as "less-than-ideal solution" e.g.
when you are using a device that hasn't a ß. You can find this in the
rules and advice e.g. for typewriting at the start of the Duden. You are
not allowed to replace only some ß by ss in your document and retain
others: if you have a ß you should use it correctly.

The word list itself gives naturally only the correct spelling.

--
Ulrike Fischer