[XeTeX] problems with fontspec and german sharp s ligature

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Apr 8 11:30:40 CEST 2008

Am 08.04.2008 um 09:11 schrieb Will Robertson:
> how is the sharp s supposed to be hyphenated?

I presume never, or at rather high temperature. Whoever hyphenates an
amalgamated ligature? In Swiss German you're allowed to write "ss"
instead of "ß" and you're then allowed to hyphenate the substitute.
OTOH, maybe it's still allowed in up-to-date German to hyphenate
"Grüße" as "Grüs-se" ... It's pretty hard to follow all the recent so-
called reforms of German orthography. Some of them were rather
counter-reforms, and since scientific studies ("Pisa") have found
that we're not able to write and count correctly: me, I don't care
that much of all details and simply hope that ngermanb.ldf knows!*
And it seems to work well in XeTeX.

*From time to time, when I see something that looks as if I've never
seen it before, I look into a "Duden" from, already, 2004. A "Warig"
would be a good choice, too.

--
Greetings
                                  <]