[XeTeX] problems with fontspec and german sharp s ligature

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Tue Apr 8 09:59:31 CEST 2008

Am Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:41:41 +0930 schrieb Will Robertson:

> Hi Niels,
>
> In XeTeX you're expected to use unicode -- don't use the inputenc
> package at all. Furthermore, as you've found, the babel package isn't
> properly supported.

Sure it is (at least in the problem that arised here). Niels is using "s
(something I haven't done for years), this is defined as \ss, and
xunicode remaps it -- but only for the EU1 encoding if it is loaded
after fontspec... I hope you remember our discussion ;-)

> However, this might be missing a subtle point of German typsetting --
> how is the sharp s supposed to be hyphenated?

It is not hyphenated: schlie-ßen, Grü-ße.

--
Ulrike Fischer