[XeTeX] problems with fontspec and german sharp s ligature

Niels Provos provos at citi.umich.edu
Tue Apr 8 05:40:46 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am using XeTeX 3.141592-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6) on Mac OS X and am
running into some curious problems with the German sz ligature:

  - The sz ligature never gets shown in italic
  - The font for the sz ligature cannot be changed

The problem occurs only when I include the fontspec package:

---
\documentclass{scrbook}
\usepackage{xunicode,fontspec,xltxtra}
\usepackage[german]{babel}
\selectlanguage{german}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Adobe Garamond Pro}
\setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Lucida Grande}

\begin{document}
\Huge

% in regular font, italic
{\itshape Au"serdem Au{^^^^00df}erdem }
% sz does not show up as italic

% all letters but sz in right font,
% however, sz always shows up in the wrong font
\fontspec{Lucida Grande}
Au"serdem Au{^^^^00df}erdem

\fontspec{Arno Pro}
Au"serdem Au{^^^^00df}erdem

{\itshape Au"serdem Au{^^^^00df}erdem}

\end{document}
---

The sz ligature always shows up as regular Adobe Garamond Pro, never
in italic nor in any of the other fonts.

When I remove fontspec, the sz ligature shows up correctly with \itshape.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
 Niels.