[XeTeX] XeLaTex does *not* work with `thebibliography' in *beamer*

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Apr 6 13:42:50 CEST 2008

On 6 Apr 2008, at 11:49 am, Steven Woody wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use xelatex to create Chinese presentations that is document in
> `beamer' class.  It is okay except I can not use the 'thebibliography'
> environment anywhere in my docuemtn.  If I do that, xelatex will
> report an error as blow and stop:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `beamericonarticle.bb' not found.
>
> I guess it is a graphic file which represent those article icons in a
> bibliography item.  Can anyone please help me.  Below are a
> simplification of my latex document:
>

> \documentclass[dvipdfm,hyperref=
> {bookmarksopen=false,pdfstartview=FitH}
>     ]{beamer}

Don't pass 'dvipdfm' as a global option; that is misleading the
graphicx package. Simply removing it may well help; then graphicx
should automatically use the proper xetex.def driver.

If you need the dvipdfm option (e.g., for hyperref), then specify
that in a separate \usepackage line. (But I don't think it should be
needed at all.)

> \mode<presentation>
> {
>     %\usetheme{Warsaw}
>     \usetheme{Frankfurt}
>     \setbeamercovered{transparent}
>     \usecolortheme{seahorse}
>     \usecolortheme{rose}
>     \usefonttheme[onlylarge]{structuresmallcapsserif}
>     \usefonttheme[onlysmall]{structurebold}
>     \setbeamercolor{title}{fg=red!80!black,bg=red!20!white}
> }
>
> \usepackage{pgf,pgfarrows,pgfnodes,pgfautomata,pgfheaps,pgfshade}
> \usepackage{amsmath,amssymb}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

Surely you shouldn't use inputenc for a UTF-8 document in xelatex.