[XeTeX] FontFolio 11 and XeTeX...

Meho R. meho_r at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 19:54:07 CEST 2008

These are questions:

1. How to make OpenType fonts from Adobe FontFolio 11 do OldStyle numerals? E.g. Adobe Garamond Pro from FontFolio 9 does this fine, but from FontFolio 11 I just can't get it work. Other fonts too.
  2. How to make footnote markers be OldStyle numerals too? I can't get OldStyle nums for superscript nums in XeTeX. (Fonts are .otf from Adobe FontFolio 9 and 11)
  3. How to use mathpazo font generaly (shiped with TeXLive 2007) and XeTeX features only in some part of doc (some Arabic text in particular)? If I use it the usual way (\usepackage[osf]{mathpazo}), it renders "bitmaped" font in .pdf output which doesn't look good.
I got these answers:

1. I don't have the Adobe FontFolio product, but I know that some recent Adobe fonts use a different form of the OpenType tables and require a fairly recent build of XeTeX to support these features. So you might need to update to a newer version than shipped (for example) with TeX Live 2007. 2. Is this feature supported in conjunction with superscripts in these fonts? If not, you'd have to disable the use of "real" superscript digits, and fake them with scaling and shifting instead. I think the fontspec package can do this; check the documentation and/or ask on the mailing list.
 3. You should be able to use the fontspec package to change fonts as needed. But in any case I don't think you should be getting bitmapped fonts; this suggests a configuration problem with the font map files.
As for the first one, I think I have the most recent XeTeX, but no big deal. I'll upgrade soon my system anyway (Ubuntu Hardy Heron later this month) and for now stick with FontFolio 9.

As for the second one, I know that using InDesign in the past I managed to get superscripts with OldStyle feature. However, I would like to know how to turn of "real" superscripts and "fake" them for footnote markers, as Jonathan pointed out.

And for the third one -- still have no idea how to do it. Any suggestions?