[XeTeX] Updating XeTeX (plain) for PS Tricks

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Sep 8 18:48:51 CEST 2007

Le 8 sept. 07 à 16:11, John Was a écrit :

> I presume GhostScript is installed as I'm using the TeXLive
> installation. (I do have GhostScript anyway for my normal EmTeX,
> but it is a different version on a different area of my computer.)

As far as I know GhostScript isn't part of TeXLive and must be
installed separately. At least on the Mac it must.

> Here is the .TEX file that causes this:
>
> \nopagenumbers
> \input pstricks
> This is some text.\par
> %This is some \scalebox{-1 1}{reversed text}
> Scalebox doesn't work (causes an `undefined control sequence'
> error).\par
> \psline{->}(1cm,2cm)(5cm,3cm)(7cm,-8cm)\par
> Neither does psline though it doesn't halt processing.\par
> \rput(4cm,-5cm){Moveable text}\par
> But rput does.\par
> And this \rotateleft{should be rotated left.}\par
> TeX allows for it to be but in fact it isn't.\par
>
> .\vfill \eject \bye
>
> I attach the resulting PDF.

\scalebox is an instruction specific to the LaTeX graphics/graphicx
package. In order to get it to work, you must use the plain TeX
adaptation in texmf/tex/plain/plgraph/, namely call graphicx.tex.

Moreover, the correct syntax for \scalebox is \scalebox{-1}[1]
{reversed text}.

Replace the above with:

\nopagenumbers
\input graphicx
\input pstricks
This is some text.\par
This is some \scalebox{-1}[1]{reversed text}.\par
%Scalebox doesn't work (causes an `undefined control sequence' error).
\par
\psline{->}(1cm,2cm)(5cm,3cm)(7cm,-8cm)\par
Neither does psline though it doesn't halt processing.\par
\rput(4cm,-5cm){Moveable text}\par
But rput does.\par
And this \rotateleft{should be rotated left.}\par
TeX allows for it to be but in fact it isn't.\par
.\vfill \eject \bye

Works fine here, with TeX and GhostScript. I can't try with XeTeX and
xdvipdfmx, as the files mentioned in this thread, pstricks.con and
xetex-pstricks.con, don't seem to be present in TeXLive-2007; I
imagine they belong to an SVN version or something like that.

Bruno Voisin