[XeTeX] XETEX \special commands changed for xdvipdfmx?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Sep 7 09:22:49 CEST 2007

On 7 Sep 2007, at 8:13 am, Paul Howson wrote:

> Question:
> Have the \special commands documented in Jonathon Kew's original
> "xetex notes" of August 2006 changed for the Linux version using
> xdvipdfmx?

xdvipdfmx supports lots more \special{}s (most of which are described
in the dvipdfm(x) documentation, I guess), but it should also
understand the basic xetex ones such as you're using.

> Now I am getting errors, for example:
>
> [3sh: gs: command
> not found

This seems very odd; apparently a shell (sh) process is complaining
that it can't find ghostscript (gs). But why would it be trying to
run gs at all? The only thing I can think of would be if your
dvipdfmx.cfg setup tries to support the automatic conversion of
graphics from one format to another.

Can you try paring this down to a minimal document that still
exhibits the problem, and if that process doesn't lead you to an
answer by itself, then post it for me (or others) to try?

Thanks,