[XeTeX] Defining multiple fonts / font search directory

Gerrit Sangel z0idberg at gmx.de
Mon Sep 3 20:19:24 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have two propositions for new features (I hope, they are not yet encoded)

What about a kind of font substition?

I think, it would be nice if one could e.g. specify two fonts (in XeLaTeX, I
don't know how this works in XeteX) like this
\useromanfont{font1,font2}

This way, the system would first choose a glyph from font1 and if it doesn't
find one in font1, it would look in font2. I think, this would maybe nice for
Chinese if one uses characters from the Han blocks in Plane 0 and Plane 2,
which may not fit into one font (don't know if something like this exists).
This would also be good if one has to input other scripts more often and does
not want to type in a command everytime.

Another proposition would be this:

I thought about long time archiving, which is one advanage of LaTeX. With
XeTeX now, the user has to install the font on the system, which is, in my
opinion, not so good for long time archiving. What about a search path in the
current directory, for which the user gets the feature to specifiy the font
file directly? I think, if one would use maybe something like
\useromanfont{font1.ttf}, XeTeX could look for the font in the current
directory, where the .tex file is located. Then one could save the font file
along with the tex file and if he wants to compile the font, he does not have
to care about installing the font (or maybe isn't even allowed to do so)

Gerrit