[XeTeX] A general suggetion for managing thefontselectionformixed-language document

Javier Bezos lists at texytipografia.com
Sat Sep 1 17:47:59 CEST 2007

>> I've always wondered about this, but I usually just put the
>> following punctuation mark in italics as well, as it seems easier
>> to me. Is it actually wrong in terms of typography ?

> The _U. of Chicago Manual of Style_ says, twice (5.4 and 6.60), that
> punctuation should be in the same font as the letter(s) that
> immediately precede it. The exception is brackets and parentheses. So
> it should be \emph{Wow!} and not \emph{Wow}!

They have changed their mind and now 'punctuacion marks
should appear in the same font--roman or italic--as the
main or surrounding text, except [mainly] for punctuation
that belongs to a title' (6.3, 15th ed.). Thus, they
follow the current trend, because the new rule 'serves
both simplicity an logic'.

Javier