[XeTeX] scshape + scriptsize + Charis SIL = segmentation fault

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Sep 1 16:38:07 CEST 2007

On 25 Aug 2007, at 9:45 pm, Christoph Unger wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 09:14:04PM +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk
> wrote:
>> The following document causes xetex-0.996 to crash:
>>
>> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setmainfont{Charis SIL}
>> \begin{document}
>> \textsc{\scriptsize abc}
>> \end{document}
>
> It does not crash on my setup, and I am using xetex-0.996.

I don't see why it would crash... if this persists, please provide
more details of your system (what OS?), and a backtrace or similar
crash report if possible.

> --Christoph
>

>> BTW, small caps don't work for all fonts I checked (except Latin
>> Modern). Do they require special support in the font?

Yes, they require support for the OpenType (or AAT) small caps
feature. Many of the "professional" fonts from Adobe and other
vendors have this, but most older and/or free fonts don't.

The current release of Charis SIL has a bug whereby it claims to
support small caps (e.g., if you use the OpenType-info file, or Font
Properties in Windows), but does not actually have the necessary
glyphs. I think there's now a mention of this in the Known Issues
list on the web site.

JK

(Apologies for the delayed response; I've been away and am just
catching up on unread mail....)