[XeTeX] Opticals and math fonts

Barry Schwartz chemoelectric at chemoelectric.org
Tue Oct 30 19:20:28 CET 2007

Enrico Rossi <enrico.a.rossi at gmail.com> skribis:
> 1. Are XeTeX and fontspec sufficiently clever to automatically pick
> out the correct optical font from a family? It doesn't seem that way,
> but it's hard to tell.

In my experience fontconfig itself is too stupid to pick out the
correct font from opticals--for instance, ask for Brioso Pro Regular
and you get instead Brioso Pro Caption--so that could be a limitation
on XeTeX's abilities, at least on Unix-like platforms. I think it is
due to a design error (not a coding error as such) in fontconfig.

Ant (ant.berlios.de) does what you ask about, but it isn't TeX.

--
Barry SCHWARTZ   /   Barijo ŜVARCO
chemoelectric ĉe chemoelectric punkto org  http://chemoelectric.org