[XeTeX] Controlling glyph variations

Mark Dancer ae1fric at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 12:42:18 CET 2007

Hi Will,

Thanks for the response.

> The problem is that a stylistic set replaces the glyphs
> that it
> affects and leaves the rest alone -- if the variant gives
> you a swash
> A only (say) you can still type "B" to get the unchanged
> B from the
> base font.

Just to clarify what I'm getting when I go through the
loop:

>>     \newcount\nglyph
>>     \newcount\glyf \newcount\step
>>     \nglyph =\XeTeXcountglyphs\varfont
>>     \noindent{\title Zapfino First Variant Glyph Set
>> contains \number\nglyph\ glyphs}
>>     \nobreak\medskip
>>     \noindent
>>         \loop \advance\glyf by 1
>>             \ifnum\glyf<\nglyph
>>                 {\varfont\XeTeXglyph\glyf }
>>         \repeat

gives me every variant of every character (including the
base glyph). In the middle of the document I get ... d d d
d d d d d d ..., where each d looks different (there being
eight variants glyphs for d).

> You'd want to loop through character sets (based on
> unicode chars, I
> guess) you were interested in and compare what the
> XeTeXglyph for each
> is for the base font and for the font with the variant
> selected; if
> they're different, that glyph is a variant.
> As far as I know, there's no way to do it by using
> XeTeXglyph alone.

I'll try this and let you know how it goes.

> Does this mean that you can't find if there's a variant
> of a ligature?

Good point. There are some funky ligatures in Zapfino up
round 1050-1130 decimal--multiple fi, fl ligatures. I think
they will require special case code.

Cheers,

Mark