[XeTeX] Using Gentium with XeteX

Joachim Trinkwitz jtr at uni-bonn.de
Sun Oct 28 10:30:01 CET 2007

Am 28.10.2007 um 01:34 schrieb Bernd:

> Is there a font available that has serifes and sans in a
> complementing way? I know there are some sets out there but none of
> them seem to be as feature rich as Gentium in terms of
> transliteration capabilities etc.

Maybe not the answer you want to hear: there are a lot of commercial
fonts available which meets your demands. Have a look at Fedra Serif
and Fedra Sans at http://www.typotheque.com/, designed by renowned
type designer Peter Bil’ak. Both families are available in a plethora
of faces (there is a mono variant, too), weights, shapes (condensed,
display, etc.), and scripts, between them cyrillic, greek and even
arabic. Fedra Serif alone has in the pro version over 2000
characters, supporting over 70 languages and including a math font
set. A matching phonetic font is offered, too.

Of course, all of this cornucopia has its price.

BTW I'm not affiliated with Typotheque, merely a fan … Of course
there are other, cheaper, but even more limited alternatives. I'm a
fan of Gentium, too, but a commercial vendor has more ressources to
provide completeness and high quality.

Best regards,
joachim

Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz     E-Mail: jtr at uni-bonn.de
Institut für Germanistik, Tel.: 0228-737565
Vergleichende Literatur-  Fax: 0228-737479
und Kulturwissenschaft    www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de
der Universität Bonn      53012 Bonn