[XeTeX] Using Gentium with XeteX

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 03:14:47 CET 2007

On 10/27/07, Bernd <mlist at gmx.de> wrote:
> While speaking of Gentium I have a similar question. Is there a font
> available that has serifes and sans in a complementing way? I know there are
> some sets out there but none of them seem to be as feature rich as Gentium
> in terms of transliteration capabilities etc. (The most perfect font would
> be obviously a Gentium sans ;-) )

About a year-an ago, some kid started work on a Gentium Sans.  I
recently looked him up & asked him about it; he said he'd long since
given it up and lost the files he was working with.  Basically, he
opened the font file in an editor and methodically stripped off the
serifs.  The original (and only) posting about this is at
<http://www.typophile.com/node/19776>.

(BTW, and OT:  If anyone's interested in making a real Gentium
small-caps, horizontal scaling by 89% and vertical scaling by 74% is a
good start; I've faked small caps in a word processor that way.  Of
course fixing the serifs and spacing is much more work…)

--Joel