[XeTeX] Quote from TeXhax thread

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Thu Oct 18 16:57:05 CEST 2007

2007/10/18, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>:
> I'd love to see \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} be enhanced to recognize
> xetex and "do nothing" in this case, leaving the engine to handle the
> Unicode data.

If you remember the discussion after Chris' talk at TUG2007 (the last
three minutes of the video available at
http://www.river-valley.tv/conferences/tex/tug2007/media/Chris_Rowley/),
you get the impression that this is exactly what users want from the
LaTeX team (and IMHO what Chris doesn't understand): It's not enough
to tell the world how lovely xetex is -- LaTeX must become
xetex-aware. NOW.

IMHO this will be the crucial point for LaTeX and the argument for
ConTeXt MkIV: If LaTeX stays in the 20th century, many users will
migrate to ConTeXt.

Best
   Martin