[XeTeX] Windows Front-Ends and XeTeX

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Wed Oct 17 00:14:22 CEST 2007

I've been asked by some friends to get them going with XeLaTeX.
As I'm Mac-only myself I was pleased to learn, that TeXLive 2007
provides everything needed also for the those using Windows.
Following a very positive review, we installed TeXnicCenter as a
front-end.

As font-changing with fontspec and the like do work, XeTex is
obviously installed, but everything outside ASCII is rendered as
empty boxes. Files written on a Mac and sent to and xetex'ed  on the
PCs in question do produce flawless pdf's, rendering non-ASCII properly.
My guess is that the file in TeXnicCenter just isn't saved as UTF8
and thus not xetex'ed properly. If this is right:

- Is there a way to make TeXnicCenter save properly? (I couldn't find
any, but I still cannot believe that an up-to-date app isn't Unicode-
aware nowadays...)

- Could any of you recommend a good, stable, preferably free LaTeX
editor for non-experts that _can_ be used with XeTeX?

Thanks in advance!
Florian.