[XeTeX] FontSite 500 fonts and XeTeX

Barry Schwartz chemoelectric at chemoelectric.org
Fri Oct 12 22:05:48 CEST 2007

In any case, XeTeX is the encouragement to go ahead and get a more
advanced version of a font, and by my observation it is just this year
that OpenType fonts have become commonplace, making XeTeX more
important. Beware, though, that Bitstream, at least at MyFonts, has
been advertising TrueType fonts without OT features as 'OpenType TTF'
(or at least this was my experience). Linotype's 'OpenType TTF' seem
to be the real thing, however; I've licensed Frances Uncial Com and it
has a respectable set of OT features.

At least with the Fontsite disk you will be able to try before buying
a more full-featured font. In that sense it is like fishing bait,
similar to the FontShop and FontFont freebies (the means by which they
have parted me from $$$ in the past).

Also in a few cases there are or will be alternatives, in particular
the TeX Gyre fonts.

--
Barry SCHWARTZ   /   Barijo ŜVARCO
chemoelectric ĉe chemoelectric punkto org  http://chemoelectric.org