[XeTeX] FontSite 500 fonts and XeTeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Oct 12 15:22:25 CEST 2007

On Oct 12, 2007, at 7:56 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> These require
> custom handling in the application (I expect things like PageMaker or
> XPress probably had some features designed to support them);

\begin{pedanticrant}%caused by wasting too much of my life using
%ragemaker and quirk xpress

One would think so, but they didn't.

Both fake small caps w/ a button, even when present in an expert set
--- the closest that one gets to automation are various scripts which
will insert f-ligatures from an expert font (but woe-betide if the
main font is changed). There were also a couple of XTensions for
Quark for this sort of thing (one specifically engineered to support
Emigre's Mrs. Eaves).

It's only w/ InDesign, and now Quark XPress 7 (want a laundry-list of
its problems?) that one gets decent support for typographic font
features and pretty much only w/ opentype fonts (or .ttfs which
include opentype layout tables).

\end{pedanticrant}

> in the
> TeX world, the alphabet soup of .tfm, .vf, .fd, .enc, .map, etc.
> provides a mechanism that could be used.

The fontinst manual and Philipp Lehman's wonderful _Font Installation
Guide_ cover all of this in detail --- there're also some interesting
and useful articles on this sort of thing in TUGboat:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/fontinstallationguide/
http://www.tug.org/tugboat/

William

--