[XeTeX] XeTeX, Persian, Page Numbers, Footnote Numbers and other same issues

Otared Kavian otared at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 09:14:36 CET 2007

> On 27 Nov 2007, at 9:10 am, Ali Majdzadeh wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> Is it possible to produce page numbers in Persian? The same
>> question exists about footnote numbers, endnote numbers and heading
>> numbers.

Hi Ali,

Actually, following Mojca's answer, using ConTeXt + XeTeX, that is the
format called XeConTeXt, using Persian numerals is quite easy: one has
only to specify how the nmbers are converted to such and such glyphs.
Below is a complete working example.
Note that there is still a problem with the alignment of sections
headers…
This also can be fixed but right now I don't remember how and I don't
have time to search in my archives :-)

Best reards: OK

%%%%%%%%%%
%!TEX TS-program = xecontext

% following Mojca M.'s suggestions:

\TeXXeTstate=1
\everypar={\setbox0=\lastbox \beginR \box0 }

\font\PersianA="B Zar" at 10pt

\font\PersianB="X Ferdosi" at 10pt

% persian page numbers:
    \setuppagenumbering[conversion=persiannumerals,style=\PersianA]

% persian heading numbers:
    \setuphead[section][conversion=persiannumerals,numberstyle=
\PersianA]
    \setuphead[subsection][conversion=persiannumerals,numberstyle=
\PersianA]

% persian footnotes numbers:
    \setupfootnotes[conversion=persiannumerals,style=\PersianA]

% persian item numbers
	\setupitemize[conversion=persiannumerals,stopper=,left={(},style=
\PersianA]

\starttext

\PersianB
\beginR