[XeTeX] Output file removed; Output written on...

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Nov 28 19:00:59 CET 2007

> Am 28.11.2007 um 16:05 schrieb maxwell:
>
>> Now that I think of it, why was it necessary for me to use the
>> ExternalLocation?  Why couldn't xdvipdfmx find the font (which was in
>> /usr/share/fonts/local/)?  Is that not a standard location, and if
>> not,
>> where should I put it?
> Xdvipdfmx uses libfontconfig (fc-list, fc-cache). Its configure file
> (s) tell(s) where to look for fonts. 'man fc-list' etc. can provide
> necessary information for your system.

fc-list reports the ff.:

   > fc-list | grep Nafees
   Nafees Nastaleeq v1.01:style=Regular

The command in my XeTeX file is:
   \newfontface\urdufont[Script=Arabic]{Nafees Nastaleeq v1.01}
When I run the file this way (without using the ExternalLocation arg),
telling XeTeX to produce a PDF, I get the error msg:
   Output file removed.
   Output written on UrduFont.pdf (1 page).
The UrduFont.log doesn't give any info (XeTeX is under the impression that
the PDF got written).  If I instead run xetex with the -no-pdf flag, then
run xdvipdfmx separately, I get the error msg:

   [1
   ** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without the "native" font:
   NafeesNastaleeqv1.01 (Nafees Regular)...

   Output file removed.

So it appears that xdvipdfmx is either *not* using the same info as
fc-list provides, or xdvipdfmx is expecting the font to be listed under a
different name (namely, one without the space characters); not sure where
it gets that from.

> ...Coming from dvipdfm it can
> also handle the TeX font system and therefore needs a MAP file
> (dvipdfm.map) that translates a TeX font name to a file name on disk.
> Updmap or updmap-sys produces this MAP file from MAP file fragments,
> which it manages too.

Hmm, never heard of this updmap before... shouldn't it have run at
install? Anyway, I just now ran updmap, but it made no difference.  Maybe
that's because neither the VARTEXMF nor the TEXMFMAIN variables are set??
updmap said it was using the pdftex output directory
~/.texlive2007/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap, but in fact there's
nothing there.  The directory is writable, so I'm not sure what went
wrong.

> You can also invoke 'texdoc dvipdfm'.

<rant>Why does tex have to do everything differently?  Why can't it
install a man page for dvipdfm, like everyone else?</rant>

<apologies/>

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD