[XeTeX] fontspec's ExternalLocation

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 23:33:28 CET 2007

Hello,

Since re-installing my OS, I'm inclined not to install too many 3rd
party fonts due to performance limitations (I've only got an 867MHz
Powerbook at the moment...). As you can imagine, being active in the
XeTeX world means that I've got a slew of fonts that I don't use much
except for testing purposes.

Since xdvipdfmx now allows loading fonts by filename rather than
having to install them in the system, I've set up a folder to contain
all my fonts; now I can write
   \fontspec[ExternalLocation=/Users/will/Fonts/]{CharisSILR.ttf}
and it's all good.

But I discovered that the natural
   \defaultfontfeatures{ExternalLocation=/Users/will/Fonts/}
   \fontspec{CharisSILR.ttf}
unfortunately doesn't work (but it should). So I'll fix that at some
stage.

(You'd think this sort of thing would be pretty straight-forward, but
fontspec actually parses font features in several stages so that you
don't have to worry about the logical order of features such as
Renderer, Script, Language, and ExternalLocation. Still not exactly
sure what's going wrong, though -- I haven't actually looked in my
code yet!)

While I'm thinking about it, are there other features that people
could find useful for this mode? I'm thinking it's annoying to
type .ttf after every font. Any comments on whether I should parse
the fontname and add a default if there isn't an extension? (The
default would probably be initially .ttf but obviously could be
customised.)

Do people use the ExternalLocation feature much? Has anyone else set
up an external repository for all the fonts they don't want installed
in the system proper?

All the best,
Will