[XeTeX] How to produce a notable pdf file by Acrobat Reader?

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Tue Nov 27 13:51:11 CET 2007

William Adams wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 1:48 AM, SONG Zhiwei wrote:
>
>> I can not find any free PDF annotation programs for Linux

Recent versions of Acrobat Reader can comment pdfs. But this
commenting feature must be enabled within the pdf itself. And
there are legal issues to implement this in a LaTeX package;
Adobe has encrypted this feature.

> To be fair, one can read in a .pdf using pdfpages and pdflatex and
> annotate on top of it using the appropriate commands --- you have to
> calculate positions by hand, but it's not that bad, and in many ways
> is more flexible for some sorts of work.

Just a few words on this solution, although this is probably not
what the original poster is looking for.

You don't really have to `calculate' the position. The grid option
of eso-pic might help you a lot. Here's an example:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[grid]{eso-pic}
\usepackage{pdfpages}

\begin{document}

\includepdf[
  picturecommand*={\setlength{\unitlength}{1mm}%
                   \put(50,130){Foobar}}
  ]{dummy.pdf}

\end{document}

Another very nice thing is the cooltooltips package, which creates
real pdf annotations. Unfortunately the cooltooltips package does
not have a XeTeX driver, yet. Maybe someone can convince Scott Pakin
to write one. Here's an example that works with pdflatex:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\usepackage{cooltooltips}

\begin{document}

\includepdf[
  picturecommand*={\setlength{\unitlength}{1mm}%
                   \put(50,130){%
                     \cooltooltip[0 0 1]
                     {}{That's cool!}{}{}{\Huge Kick me!}
                   }}