[XeTeX] Making nice tables

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 09:05:51 CET 2007

On 24/11/2007, at 4:30 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

>> I realize that's a bit simplistic, but I do wish *tex would try a bit
>> harder...  Maybe some of the other table packages do?  If I can
>> figure
>> out how to test them out, I will.
>
> Maybe there is a package that already does the kind of logic
> outlined above. If so, that would be great; otherwise you'll
> need to write a bit of serious package-code for yourself.

...speaking of which, I don't think this is so much a XeTeX question
anymore. You'll get a much larger audience with many more competent
people if you ask over in comp.text.tex.

The approach suggested by Ross will be quite difficult to put
together. I think the easiest way (*not* the best way) to fix your
problem is to define a table environment that floats the table if it
is longer than a set height and puts it in a longtable otherwise.
Then you don't need to go to the effort of measuring the space left
on the page, and the coding will be relatively easy. Fiddling with
the allowable height should give good enough results...

Anyway, something like that would be easy enough for me to put
together in a short while (I think!). Let me know if you'd like
assistance.

Hope this helps,
Will