[XeTeX] Redefining the footnotes in XeTeX

Brian Anderson briananderson4 at mac.com
Tue Nov 20 15:32:14 CET 2007

Hello,

I'm working on a file, and I want to change the layout of the
footnotes. I've looked at this several times, but haven't found
anything, or even where to start.

What I'm trying to do is change the footnotes at the bottom of the
page from this:

1) first note
2) second note
..
6) sixth note

to this:

1) first note 2) second note
3) this is a long footnote, so it is on its own line
4) short note 5) short note 6) short note

I'd like to find a way to have XeTeX determine whether there is enough
space on the line for 2 or more footnotes, or whether there should
only be one.

Any suggestions or ideas of where to start welcome.

Thanks.

Brian