[XeTeX] fontspec, fractions, and parens

Scott Murman smurman at segosha.net
Sun Nov 18 22:18:37 CET 2007

>> testing the Fraction=On option with fontspec and OpenType, it raises
>> (superscripts) parenthesis set in text mode.   is this a known
>> "feature"?  how do i counteract?
>
> It'll presumably be a "feature" of how the font developer has
> implemented that OpenType feature. You might need to set that feature
> only for the specific runs of text where you want it to apply.
> (fontspec's \addfontfeature works for occasional use; if it's going
> to be frequent, then defining a separate font identifier with
> \newfontfamily is much more efficient.)
>
> JK

yes, it appears that all my OT fonts have some undesirable side
effects when choosing Fraction=On with fontspec.  i would really like
to typeset more attractive fractions, however.  has anyone worked a
set of macros, or is this part of xlxtra or something?  i guess it
would be something like \onehalf, \onethird, \onequarter etc. rather
than choosing a global mode, but this is better than nothing.

-SM-