[XeTeX] small caps in Apple Pages vs XeLaTeX

Faisal Moledina faisal.moledina at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 18:53:23 CET 2007

On 11/17/07, Berteun Damman <berteun at gmail.com> wrote:
> My guess is Pages is faking them. It will convert your text to all
> caps and shrink these by, say, 70%. This however results in letters
> that are too thin. If you look closely, the stem of the small caps I
> will probably thinner than an i. Small caps are usually separately
> designed to match to the surrounding text.
>
> With some fonts resizing the bold version yields something more
> acceptable, though usually the step from normal to bold is too large.
> You need a semi-bold, or more weights in between.
>
> You can experiment with this. You can pass a SmallCaps=Georgia and
> SmallCapsFeatures=Scale=0.72 to the Georgia instance; if you type
> \textsc{HTML} (notice you have to use caps in this case) to get fake
> small caps with XeTeX.

I tried that out by placing
[SmallCapsFont=Georgia,SmallCapsFeatures={Scale=0.72}] as options to
my \setmainfont instance. However, I think it's too much faking as I
need to type uppercase and make sure that the letters I want not small
capped should be outside of the \textsc. So my name, for example would
need to look like:

F{\sc AISAL}\ M{\sc OLEDINA}

I think I'm better off looking for a font that has small caps. Is
there a way to loop the AAT-info.tex and maybe even the
OpenType-info.tex for every font I have installed? I'm not a TeX
programmer so I'm not really sure how those files work to begin with
(too spoiled with LaTeX I suppose). This would be a great reference to
all the features I can have for all my fonts. Is there a GUI program
that lists features the way AAT-info does? I'm looking for something
besides the Typography window under the cog wheel of the font selector
dialog in OS X programs and the Show Repertoire in Font Book.
Something a little more automated.

I also just found a thread called "small cap font woes" from last year
that has quite a bit of info. Apologies for the repetition.

Faisal