[XeTeX] Used XeLaTeX for a Thanksgiving Card here at work

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Nov 14 08:18:31 CET 2007

Everything ``just worked''.

Had to do some fancy find-replace and a bit of manual work to get the
Excel data files over to LaTeX, then a lot of cleanup and tweaking
'cause the data was inconsistent or downright incorrect, but the
typesetting end went perfectly. Best of all, since XeTeX includes a
graphic only once, referring to it w/ subsequent uses, the file sizes
were quite manageable (We guesstimated a couple of terabytes otherwise).

1,581 records. It did take about an hour and a half to typeset the
cards proper on my 2.5GHz G5 though (3,162 pages, each of which had a
multi-megabyte graphic and every other one had a bitmap signature
graphic). Aside from the graphic / filesize angle, using InDesign for
this wasn't a straight-forward option since you can't place a graphic
using its data merge feature --- I'd've had to use XML to get the
data in.

My sincere thanks to everyone who helped to make this possible by
providing XeTeX and LaTeX and TeX!

William

--
William Adams