[XeTeX] Western encoding and XeTeX

Marcel Korpel marcel.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:52:11 CET 2007

Hi all,

As a heavy TeX user for several years I stuck with the TeXnANSI
encoding in the TeTeX. This made it possible to type é and ü instead
of \'e and \"u, which is a relief when typing Dutch (I changed my
keyboard using Xmodmap to input those special characters more easily).

The last few days I experimented with XeTeX for the first time and I
am not disappointed at all! Now can I use Opentype fonts and all their
features with no more hassling with lcdftools. Great! But...

When typing é and ü again, I noticed that the system expects Unicode
characters. I ploughed through this mailing list and Google & Co., but
couldn't find a useful solution. As a (former?) TeTeX user I use
tex-text.tec to convert -- etc. to the correct 'ligatures'. I think
that using TECkit it must be possible to convert é and ü etc. in the
same way. Is there perhaps already a 'standard' solution
(map/tec-file) to workaround this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Marcel