[XeTeX] Seg fault with Charis

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Nov 13 14:20:55 CET 2007

On 13 Nov 2007, at 12:16 pm, Hefferon, James S. wrote:

> Jon,
>
> I might not be replying to this mail correctly; I cannot tell if
> this reply is going to a general list or not.  Sorry.

Yes, your reply came via the list.

>> Segfaults are bad; ideally, even badly broken fonts wouldn't cause
> them, but there are no doubt cases that aren't handled well.
>
> As a TeX-person I am spoiled, I suppose.  I understand that bad
> fonts can have pointers that go nowhere, etc., but a seg fault did
> take me aback.

Sure; it would take me aback too, and indicates the software isn't as
robust as it should be.

> As I said, I'd be happy to supply you with the file, or with
> whatever dump might be useful, if that would help iron out a bug.

You should have a crash log in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/
xelatex.crash.log or something like that; if you could send me a copy
of this (direct, off-list email is fine), that may give a clue. Note
that the crash log appends a new report for each crash, so can get
quite large; you could perhaps clear (or delete) it and then
reproduce the crash, if that's not too much trouble, so as to get a
single clean report.

Thanks,