[XeTeX] XeTeX and Beamer Package

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Nov 13 12:28:14 CET 2007

Am 13.11.2007 um 06:43 schrieb Stefan Pohl:

> \usepackage{multimedia,ifthen,eurosym}

Eurosym chooses a particular "font" to print € – I'd use a font with
€ instead and in 8 bit LaTeX the ISO 8859-15 or latin9 input encoding
and € in text. \usepackage[full]{textcomp} helps with even more symbols.

> \usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

You can't use an 8 bit text encoding because XeTeX uses Unicode (16
or 32 bits). Babel is OK.

> \usepackage{times}

This can collide with fontspec.

> \usepackage{pgf,pgfarrows,pgfnodes,pgfautomata,pgfheaps}

When not using recent XeTeX and xdvipdfmx from SVN you'll need to
insert [dvipdfm].

> \usepackage{amsmath,amssymb,natbib}
> \usepackage{graphicx,xcolor}

Again, when not using XeTeX and xdvipdfmx from SVN you'll need to
insert [dvipdfm]. Think of choosing a particular colour model for
xcolor. "Dvips" certainly is not correct.

> \usepackage{enumerate}
> \usepackage{float}
> \usepackage{pifont}

The latter looks obsolete since you can load via fontspec Zapf-
Dingbats or such.

I'd start to explore with less packages and some pages (slides) of
text. Then add additional packages one by one when the need for
special effects grows. Graphics formats to include in XeTeX are
restricted to PDF, PNG, TIFF, JPEG, PICT, although I can't tell
whether the "restrictions" in QuickTime (i.e. almost no restrictions
because you can use plug-ins, but then XeTeX has not always a means
to determine the picture's dimensions) apply for both output drivers,
xdvipdfmx and xdv2pdf ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Time flies like an error -- but fruit flies like a banana!
                              (almost Groucho Marx)