[XeTeX] Seg fault with Charis

Hefferon, James S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Sun Nov 11 16:26:53 CET 2007

Will and Ross,

Thank you both for your help.

Will asked:
>On the off-chance that this is a fontspec problem, do you have any
>macros that contain \fontspec or anything like that?

No, I don't use any fontspec commands besides what is in the header that
I showed, to set the main font.  Of course it is possible that one of
the packages that I am using does something of which I am unaware.  (The
most advanced packages I use are hyperref and xcolor.)

For what it is worth, to me, a seg fault seems an odd thing to do if
there is some error in the macros.

Ross asked:
> If the 1st pass works but the 2nd fails, then there could be something
> awkward being written into the .aux file.

> Examine the .aux .
> If there is a lot of stuff expanded into lain TeX primitives,
> e.g. from an unprotected font-switching macro, then you should
> try to do something about this.

> My **guess** is that this is related to table-captions...

I don't see anything in the .aux file.  Here is what it looks like.
There is a preamble
 \relax
 \ifx\hyper at anchor\@undefined
 \global \let \oldcontentsline\contentsline
 \gdef \contentsline#1#2#3#4{\oldcontentsline{#1}{#2}{#3}}
 \global \let \oldnewlabel\newlabel
 \gdef \newlabel#1#2{\newlabelxx{#1}#2}
 \gdef \newlabelxx#1#2#3#4#5#6{\oldnewlabel{#1}{{#2}{#3}}}
 \AtEndDocument{\let \contentsline\oldcontentsline
 \let \newlabel\oldnewlabel}
 \else
 \global \let \hyper at last\relax
 \fi

 \providecommand*\HyPL at Entry[1]{}
 \HyPL at Entry{0 << /S /D >> }
 \HyPL at Entry{1 << /S /D >> }
Then there are perhaps 150 sections like this:
 \@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {chapter}{James Hefferon}{455}{chapter*.277}}
 \@writefile{lof}{\addvspace {10\p@ }}
 \@writefile{lot}{\addvspace {10\p@ }}
 \gdef \LT at dlxxxiv {\LT at entry
     {5}{469.75499pt}}
 \@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {section}{MA 208 A}{456}{section*.278}}
 \gdef \LT at dlxxxv {\LT at entry
     {5}{469.75499pt}}
 \gdef \LT at dlxxxvi {\LT at entry
     {5}{469.75499pt}}
 \gdef \LT at dlxxxvii {\LT at entry
     {5}{469.75499pt}}
 \@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {section}{MA 213 A}{458}{section*.279}}
 \gdef \LT at dlxxxviii {\LT at entry
     {5}{469.75499pt}}
 \gdef \LT at dlxxxix {\LT at entry
     {5}{469.75499pt}}
Obviously I am not seeing something, but it looks innocent to my eye.

I happen not to use table captions.  This is output from a database
(it is a list of class evaluations for a system I am writing for my
school to use, so I used longtable to allow for lists of comments
that span multiple pages).  A person could fairly characterise it as
big, but unsophisticated.

In case it is useful, I have had success with a number of other fonts
that I grabbed off the net (Gentium and Fontin are two) so something
about Charis at least seems to be the trigger.

Thanks again,
Jim