[XeTeX] Smart quotes in Leopard

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 03:26:56 CET 2007

On 11/11/2007, at 7:54 , Andrew Arana wrote:

> \setromanfont{Hoefler Text}

Use [Mapping=tex-text] as an option.

> Plato was a philosopher with lots of "friends''—you do believe me,
> don't you?

Using " as opening double curly quotes is Bad News. In regular TeX "
gives you a closing double quote. You're better off using `` instead.

Like I said before, the automatic curlies is a feature of the font
and the change in behaviour could either be a change in the font in
Leopard, or a change in Leopard, or a bug in XeTeX in Leopard. But if
you change your font, you won't get the output you expect.

In any case, your method is not very good because your output is this:
   “friends’’
Notice that you've got two *single* closing quotes there and one
double opening quote.

XeTeX's tex-text mapping transforms `` and '' into “ and ” respectively.

Will