[XeTeX] Smart quotes in Leopard

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Sat Nov 10 09:21:49 CET 2007

Will Robertson a écrit :
> On 10/11/2007, at 0:34 , Andrew Arana wrote:
>
>> This is just using automatic smart quotes.
>
> Some AAT fonts have smart quotes built-in (also see Palatino) so
> typing "string" will give you “string” in the output. This is nice in
> a GUI program but not so useful (or even confusing) for XeTeX. If I've
> understood you right, then I can only guess how smart quotes are
> applied within XeTeX has changed between Tiger and Leopard.
>
> If you have source full of "..." for quoting, then you can use the
> LaTeX package csquotes to turn them into real quotation marks.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Will

Just a tip, which may also be useful to Mac users: under Linux I have
customized my keyboard mapping so that CAPS_LOCK (a useless thing)
produces “ and SHIFT-CAPS-LOCK ” (and likewise single quotes ‘ ’ with
R_ALT-CAPS_LOCK and SHIFT-R_ALT-CAPS_LOCK). This makes my source files
look better than with `` ''.

François