[XeTeX] two questions

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 21:34:49 CET 2007

On 11/9/07, Dalyoung Jeong wrote:

> Dear Mojca,
>
> As you said to me, the line
>   \definetypeface [Myface][mm][math][modern][modern]
> is needed.
> I also found an interesting phenomena. If I set the bodyfont size
> begger that 12pt, the greek capitals are not dispalyed at all. They
> appeared only when the font size smaller or equal to 12pt. In that
> case, many of the following lines appeared in the logfile.

Taco? Adam? Please help.

I'm completely lost. Adam sugegsted me once to use [modern] in math
typescripts, but I still don't understand why and I don't see [modern]
used in iwona & antt math typescripts. Why are the uppercase greek
letters always so problematic? Can someone explain me how this
[modern] affects things?

> %%%%%%%
> ! Font \xetextempfont=lmtypewriter10-regular at 6.5pt not loadable:
> Metric (TFM
> ) file or installed font not found.
> <to be read again>
>                     \relax
> \doiffoundxetexfontelse ...#2\somefontspec \relax
>                                                    \edef
> \xetextempfont {\fon...
> <argument> ...ckedfontfile \checkedfontfeatures "}
>                                                     {\edef
> \checkedfontfile {...
>
> \secondoftwoarguments #1#2->#2
>
> \docheckfontfilenameprefix ...checkedfontfile }}}}
>                                                    \else \ifx \!!
> stringa \v!f...
>
> \docheckfontfilename ... #1:\empty :\empty \relax
>
> \doshowcheckedfontfeatures
> l.8 \setupbodyfont[Myface,13pt, rm]

Taco or Hans has suggestedme to set
    MKTEXTFM = 0
in texmf.cnf.

In theory, such a message is harmless. In practice it means that
something is wrong, but I have no idea what exactly. Taco?

Here's the "log":

fonts           : succeeds 1a: msbm10 (msbm10 at 13.0pt)
fonts           : fails 1a: lmtypewriter10-regular (nullfont)
fonts           : fails 1b: "lmtypewriter10-regular" (nullfont)
fonts           : succeeds 1c: "[lmtypewriter10-regular]" ("[lmtypewriter10-reg
ular]" at 6.5pt)
fonts           : fails 1a: lmtypewriter10-regular (nullfont)
fonts           : fails 1b: "lmtypewriter10-regular" (nullfont)
fonts           : succeeds 1c: "[lmtypewriter10-regular]" ("[lmtypewriter10-reg
ular]" at 13.0pt)
fonts           : fails 1a: lmtypewriter10-regular (nullfont)
fonts           : fails 1b: "lmtypewriter10-regular" (nullfont)
fonts           : succeeds 1c: "[lmtypewriter10-regular]" ("[lmtypewriter10-reg
ular]" at 6.5pt)
fonts           : fails 1a: lmtypewriter10-regular (nullfont)
fonts           : fails 1b: "lmtypewriter10-regular" (nullfont)
fonts           : succeeds 1c: "[lmtypewriter10-regular]" ("[lmtypewriter10-reg
ular]" at 13.0pt)

It means that ConTeXt sooner or later fonds the font (font not
loadable is only a false alarm), but on the other hand it means that
something else was wrong. There should be no reason for loading the
fallback font. Or am I missing something?

> I wasn't able to read the size data for this font,
> so I will ignore the font specification.
> [Wizards can fix TFM files using TFtoPL/PLtoTF.]
> You might try inserting a different font spec;
> e.g., type `I\font<same font id>=<substitute font name>'.
> %%%%%%%%%%%
>
> In the font book of my system, LMTypewriter10-regular and other LM
> fonts exist.

Sure, that's not a problem. It's only silently complaining. ConTeXt
tries to load a font in three varieties if there is no specific form
prescribed. So it will first try to load "tfm" font, and if that one
doesn't exist, it will look for OpenType. The problem is that XeTeX
(kpathsea?) complains if some font is not there.

> I checked log file of the cases in which the korean typescript file
> containg the commercial fonts was used. I got different result depend
> on the fonts.
>
> 1. The pdf output(english letters are displayed well  but korean
> letters are not) was made without error. In the log file, following
> lines are appeared. I think that it is because of the korean. But no
> greek capitals again even the body font is set up as 12pt.
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%
> systems         : begin file test-font at line 8
> Missing character: There is no   in font [lmroman10-
> regular]:script=latn;langua
> ge=dflt;+liga;+kern;mapping=tex-text;mapping=tex-text;!
> Missing character: There is no   in font [lmroman10-
> regular]:script=latn;langua
> ge=dflt;+liga;+kern;mapping=tex-text;mapping=tex-text;!

This means that you (or XeTeX) didn't switch the font to the Korean
one, so you get complaints that Korean characters are missing in
LMRoman (which is probably true :).

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> 2. ** ERROR ** CFF: Invalid character. and no pdf output, so I
> couldn't check the greek capitals. In the log file, the following
> lines are appeared.
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%
> (/Users/dalyoung/Library/texmf/tex/xetex/type-xkor3.tex))
> Unknown feature `script=latn' in font `smGothicR W35'.
> Unknown feature `language=dflt' in font `smGothicR W35'.
> Unknown feature `+liga' in font `smGothicR W35'.
> Unknown feature `+kern' in font `smGothicR W35'.

Remove [features=default] from your typescripts. Apparently the font
doesn't like to set the script to Latin and doesn't favor ligatures,
which can also be understood :)

> [a long blanks]

Which means that you're probably using XeTeX 0.996, but never mind:
those blank lines may safely be ignored. They will disappear once you
switch to 0.997.

Mojca