[XeTeX] Smart quotes in Leopard

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Nov 9 15:54:56 CET 2007

>                           On my PowerMac G5 at my office, still
> running Tiger, (copies of) these same unmodified files have smart
> quotes, apostrophes, just as before.

  This sounds odd.  I don't have them on my MacBook running Tiger, but I
can't help noticing that in Hoefler, the right double quote looks quite
closely like two apostrophes, so that when you input '' you get very
similar results with or without the so-called “smart quotes” (the
opening quotes don't look similar, though).  Anyway you shouldn't rely
on that feature being set automatically, see below:

>                                      I'd like to know what I'm doing
> wrong, if anyone can help.   Best, Andy

  Just add the [Mapping=tex-text] option to fontspec, as Will said:

	\usepackage[Mapping=tex-text]{fontspec}

		Arthur