[XeTeX] two questions

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 12:21:38 CET 2007

Hello Dalyoung,

On 11/6/07, Dalyoung Jeong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently, I had a problem using XeTeX+ConTeXt after the upgrade to
> Leopard. You may read my mails to the list already.
> Let me describe it in short. XeTeX and XeLaTeX worked well. But in the
> output via XeTeX+ConTeXt, all korean letters are shown as blank or as
> the series of squares([s6] mode)when I set mainfont using some of the
> commercial fonts. All the files were worked OK before the upgrade.
>
> I'd like to you two things.
>
> 1. Is it possible to use xdv2pdf to produce pdf file using the command
> "texmfstart texexec"?

Yes. You can delete the second option from
    @@runoptions['xetex']   = ['--8bit','-output-driver="xdvipdfmx -E
-d 4 -V 5"']
in scripts/context/ruby/base/tex.rb

But the main problem is that you'll get dozens of problems like
'[lmodern12-roman] can only be used with xdvipdfmx' (I don't know the
exact wording of the problem).
You would need to modify this file:
    http://source.contextgarden.net/type-otf.tex

If you change the default font globally, this warning might not be
relevant, but in any case you either:
- may not use the default Latin Modern font set by ConTeXt since
xdv2pdf doesn't support specifying file names
- or you need to modify ConTeXt source

One option is to install LM on the system and change lines like this one:
\definefontsynonym [LMRoman12-Regular][file:lmroman12-regular][features=default]
into
\definefontsynonym [LMRoman12-Regular][name:LMRoman12-Regular][features=default]
(or to comment all such lines could also work)

Note that my instruction imply to ConTeXt version 29.09.2007. The
original version from January might work without that change to
LMRoman.

> 2. How to update xetex and xdvipdfmx? I downloaded latest file of them
> from "minimal.context.wiki". I replaced the xetex and xdvipdfmx in the
> folder /usr/texbin/ with the latest files, but it made another lm font
> error.

The version 0.997 hasn't been released yet, so the official answer
will probably be "download XeTeX from SVN source and compile it
yourself" or "wait for the next version of XeTeX or TeX Live to be
released".

The files on http://minimals.contextgarden.net/bin/xetex/osx-intel/bin/
are only a "side-product" of something else (targets to ConTeXt users
so that they can use a recent version of XeTeX which has some very
important fixes).

> I am using Mac with OSX Leopard, TeXlive 2007(gwTeX).

Mojca