[XeTeX] "Missing" system fonts

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Sat May 26 21:50:25 CEST 2007

On Sat, 26 May 2007 15:19:43 +0100 (BST)
John Smith <jds10 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> OK, I have rebuilt all the fonts, changing the names so that there is
> no longer a collision between family name and font name -- so the
> Roman version of my Helvetica-lookalike is now called
> Helvetica_IndUni-Regular rather than Helvetica_IndUni (which is also
> the name of the family as a whole). The same goes for the
> Courier-lookalike.
>
> This has not solved my XeTeX problem: the Helvetica and Courier fonts
> still don't show up, while the rest (Times, Palatino, New Century
> Schoolbook) do. FontBook still puts dots next to the problematic
> fonts.

Anyway, great to see these fonts! As of XeTeX without Mac (with the
latest fontconfig), just to tell you that this simply works for me,
with the fonts I downloaded yesterday from your web site, before you
changed anything:

%%% induni.tex
\documentclass[a4paper,11pt]{report}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{Gentium}
\newfontfamily\nfa{Helvetica IndUni}
\newfontfamily\nfb{Courier IndUniMono}
\newfontfamily\nfc{Times IndUni}
\newfontfamily\nfd{NCS IndUni}
\newfontfamily\nfe{Helvetica IndUni}
\newfontfamily\nff{Palatino IndUni}
\newfontfamily\nfg{Courier IndUni}
\begin{document}
        \nfa candraḥ \emph{candraḥ} \fontname\font\par
        \nfb candraḥ \emph{candraḥ} \fontname\font\par
        \nfc candraḥ \emph{candraḥ} \fontname\font\par
        \nfd candraḥ \emph{candraḥ} \fontname\font\par
        \nfe candraḥ \emph{candraḥ} \fontname\font\par
        \nff candraḥ \emph{candraḥ} \fontname\font\par
        \nfg candraḥ \emph{candraḥ} \fontname\font
\end{document}

That produces the result I attached (induni.png). As you see, XeTeX
loaded them correctly although font names in .tex file and those
printed with \fontname\font differ in one case.

The relevant portions of my fc-list look like this:

  nikola at nyx% fc-list | grep IndUni | grep Regular
  Courier IndUniMono:style=Regular
  Times IndUni:style=Regular
  NCS IndUni:style=Regular
  Helvetica IndUni:style=Regular
  Palatino IndUni:style=Regular
  Courier IndUni:style=Regular

Fonts are groupped correctly, too:

  nikola at nyx% fc-list | grep Helvetica\ IndUni
  Helvetica IndUni:style=Bold Italic
  Helvetica IndUni:style=Italic
  Helvetica IndUni:style=Regular
  Helvetica IndUni:style=Bold