[XeTeX] "Missing" system fonts

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri May 25 10:13:20 CEST 2007

Dear Bruno

Yes - thanks for that.  I realized after one response that I was not
distinguishing between XeTeX itself and the files and programs that XeTeX
invokes.  I'm very grateful for all these tips on setting the system up but
I wish there was a manual that I could print out (buy even!) which laid all
this out - I'm having to take notes so that when I need to do it again I'll
know what to change, but it shouldn't really be necessary.  The old 4AllTeX
installation had the right approach:  as soon as you put the CD in, it asked
you various questions (Are you going to use PostScript fonts? What is the
path to the location of your TeX files?  What is the path to the location of
your graphics files? etc. etc.), and then it simply did everything for you -
with instructions on what files will need to be manually updated in future
if, for example, you decide to relocate your TeX files elsewhere.  Access to
psfonts.map, the file users probably want to alter most frequently, is
through a simple menu system within the DOS shell interface, so one never
has the sense of having to ferret around in the system to manage the
installation.  I'm sure this could very easily be added to the installation
procedure for XeTeX on the TeXLive distribution - it would save novices like
me from asking a lot of daft questions!  (But it's nice to know people are
so helpful.)

I think the [ ] round fonts could be of use in any case if one just wanted
to see what a font looked like before bothering to install it properly - I
only suggested it to the user in case he needed to get some output quickly.

Best

John