[XeTeX] Lucida New Math and XeTeX

Gour list at atmarama.org
Wed May 16 13:56:18 CEST 2007

On Wed, 16 May 2007 20:51:17 +0930
Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> They're more of an advantage for old world TeX uses -- if you're
> using XeTeX, I'd suggest you're probably better off getting a modern
> OpenType font family instead.

I'm aware of it...

However, in the past I had big problems finding fonts which would
include all Croatian chars (eg. šŠ đĐ čČ ćĆ žŽ lj nj) belonging to
(old) latin2 encoding.

Moreover, sometimes I have to typeset some texts using Sanskrit
diacritical marks and there only TeX accent-mechanism would help.

> I'm
> interested in the recently released Arno Pro, which looks very nice
> to my eyes...
>    <http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/landing/arno/arno.html>
> ...but I've got a soft spot for those sorts of "Neo-Renaissance"
> fonts. It's not exactly Lucida. But at US$329 for a whole suite of
> optical sizes, it's very well priced compared to similar fonts from
> other foundries. (For example, Palatino nova from Linotype has half
> the number of fonts and is three times the price. But I still want
> it.)

Huh, old Lucida complete set is available for $90 from TUG and, afaics,
can be used with XeTeX (LyX will spit out pure utf-8 in new release)
albeit not using all of its advantages.

> I'd browse around for a while until you get an idea for the
> "feeling" you're looking for in a font. Many of the Adobe ones are
> inexpensive and inoffensive (and some are excellent), so they're a
> good place to start.
>
> Hope this helps,

Thank you for your input. It's helpful and I will check what is the
character-coverage of Adobe's fonts.

Sincerely,
Gour