[XeTeX] XeTeX and Windows XP

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue May 15 16:36:00 CEST 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 9:54 AM, John Was wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice (apart from 'Don't') about installing
> XeTeX in Windows XP?

Get Akira Kakuto's nifty w32tex:

http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html

> I've installed TeXLive complete but don't want to get off on the
> wrong foot - my elderly EmTeX installation (on the 4AllTeX
> interface) has migrated from one computer to another for years now
> simply by copying over the entire folder, and I'm completely rusty
> on the niceties of setting up a fresh version of TeX.

Probably you can extract your specific files into a localtexmf-like
folder.

> Or should I just get a Mac and use what seems to be the very easy
> TexShop platform?

It's a nice option if it meets your needs hardware/software-wise.

> I use plain TeX, incidentally - again, is that a very bad thing?

Not if it meets your needs. Using LaTeX can be nice though when one
can find a package which addresses a particular need, and it is
better supported in terms of up-dating to meet modern difficulties.

I'd suggest looking through the fontspec code and documentation and
comparing that to the Plain TeX samples to see if it's worthwhile for
your purposes.

William

--
William Adams