[XeTeX] Question about footnotes

Jeff Dodson jeffdod at comcast.net
Mon Mar 26 13:25:46 CEST 2007

Hello All,

I have a couple of questions about footnotes. I am using the very latest
W32Tex install of LaTeX with XeTeX installed
on top of that. But first...thanks for the answers to my question about
the alternate characters in the Minion Pro font.
That was exactly what I needed, and I was able to work through that problem.

Regarding my footnotes...

I am using the footmisc package to create paragraph-style footnotes in
my document. Also, at certain breaking points
within the body of the text, I reset the footnote number to "1". This
also works fine. However, what I would really like
to do is create a paragraph indent in the footnotes every time a
footnote number "1" appears. In other words, when I
reset the number to one, I would like a line feed followed by indent. I
have accomplished this somewhat, but my
problem is that I don't know how to prevent this extra line feed when
footnote number "1" happens to be the first
footnote on the page. When this happens, it creates an extra
(unnecessary-looking) gap between the horizontal rule I
place above the footnote area. Does anyone know how to detect that the
footnote is the first one on the page, so that
I can do only the indent in that case?

My other footnote question: Is there any way to turn on hyphenation in
my footnotes, but leave it off in the main body
of my text?

Thanks!

Jeff Dodson