[XeTeX] Minion Pro Sylistic Alternates in Win32 XeTeX

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Wed Mar 21 23:45:39 CET 2007

Jonathan,

this brings me to the question: does XeTeX offer a way to preserve
kerning across text runs where a different OpenType Layout feature is
activated? For example, if I choose to typeset arbitrary slash fractions
by switching on the "numr" (numerators) feature to a run of digits, then
type a fraction bar and then another run of digits with the "dnom"
(denominators) applied. When there are kerning pairs defined in the font
between the numerator glyphs and the fraction, or between the fraction
and the denominator glyphs -- is there a way that those kerning pairs
are correctly applied in XeTeX? A similar case would be if I choose to
apply the "sups" (superscripts) or "sinf" (scientific inferiors) feature
to a set of letters that immediately follow some normal letters, and
there are kerning pairs defined between the normal and the superscript
or inferior glyphs. Another example would be if I typeset an
all-uppercase headline and choose to apply the "swsh" (swash) feature to
one of the letters.

What would be the best way to do it, if it is at all possible?

Best,
Adam