[XeTeX] Page in landscape does not *always* print correctly from Mac OS X

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Mar 20 12:13:46 CET 2007

Hello!

I made a sleeve for a DVD with some video and audio material, front
and back side by side, on an ISO A4 sheet of paper. Apple's Preview,
gv, and even TeXShop 2 (although scaled down to fit into a portrait
view) show the PDF output in landscape, xpdf fails.

When I print from TeXShop 2 the landscape page is printed on a
portrait sheet around its centre.

When I print with lpr from the command line, the landscape document
is "based" in the lower left corner of the portrait sheet.

When I print from TeXShop 2 and first open a preview and print then,
it prints fine, both sides are on one sheet of paper.

I used article class, 12pt, on ISO A4 with this statement:

	\usepackage[noheadfoot,left=5mm,right=5mm,text={270mm,
140mm},landscape,showframe]{geometry}

Xdv2pdf was *not* invoked with -p a4:landscape. When I use this
option, it makes no difference at all.

My printer is an Epson EPL-5800 with PostScript 3.

I think I've seen the TeXShop 2 and lpr bugs before with "regular"
LaTeX and I also wrote to Dick Koch then. Have more people seen this
on Mac OS X? How is this landscape printing working on non-Mac OS X
systems and which printing system is used, I mean, is foomatic or is
LPRng or something else involved besides CUPS? I use only lpr and
CUPS from the command line, and CUPS uses a PPD file to "know" my
printer.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9